Key Stage 4 English
Exam Board and Specification
GCSE students at Littleover Community School study two GCSEs in their English lessons: Language and Literature. Lessons will be shared amongst these subjects. Though the content may be different, a lot of the skills are transferable: the ability to phrase and structure ideas cogently; accuracy of spelling, punctuation and grammar; close textual analysis; making comparisons between texts; and formation of interpretations. For copies of texts studied, see below.
Exam board: Edexcel
- 19th Century Novel
- Shakespeare Play
- Unseen Fiction Extract Analysis
- Imaginative Writing
- Transactional Writing
- Unseen Non-fiction Extracts Analysis
- First Half of Poetry Anthology
- Modern Play
- Spoken Language Endorsement Presentation
- Second Half of Poetry Anthology
- Unseen Poetry
- Revision of other Literature Texts
- Revision of Unseen Fiction Extract Analysis
- Revision of Imaginative Writing
- Revision of Transactional Writing
- Revision of Unseen Non-fiction Extract Analysis
- Production visits.
- Themed writing competitions.
Copies of the Literature Texts
We will provide all pupils with copies of the texts to study. However, as these will be used and reused by lots of year groups, we cannot allow them to be annotated (except the poetry anthology).
Below are details of the editions used in school if you are interested in purchasing them.
Macbeth (Oxford School Shakespeare)
Romeo and Juliet (Oxford School Shakespeare)
An Inspector Calls by J.B. Priestley (Heinemann)
Blood Brothers by Willy Russell (Methuen Student Edition)
Silas Marner by George Eliot (Wordsworth Classics)
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (Wordsworth Classics)
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Collins Classics)